Tax Assistance Program
Community Action Partnership of Suburban Hennepin is offering tax assistance to eligible individuals in Hennepin County. Taxes are prepared and electronically filed free of charge by certified volunteers.
Please review the guidelines below.
Tax preparation services offered February through April. Current Schedule here.
- Valid Picture ID
- Social Security cards, for you, your spouse and all your dependents
- Last year's tax return
- 1095-A (if purchased health insurance through MNSure)
- 1095-B or 1095-C (if issued by your employer or insurance company)
- Interest / Dividend Statements (1099-INT, 1099- DIV)
- Alimony you have received
- Unemployment income statements (1099-G)
- Social Security Statements (Form SSA)
- Retirement Plans (1099-R)
- Miscellaneous Income (1099-MISC)
- Year-end statements for MFIP, SSI, MSA, GA, veteran's benefits and worker's compensation
- Tuition payments and student loan interest payments
- IRA contributions
- Receipt or listing of itemized expenses:
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses
- Cash or non-cash charitable donations
- Vehicle license tabs
- Property taxes paid
- Job-related moving expenses
- Mortgage interest paid
- Uniform costs
- Daycare expenses- name, address and social security number or EIN for each provider
- Receipts for education expenses you paid for your children in grades K-12. For example, tutoring, musical instruments, musical lessons, pencils, notebooks, academic camps, etc.
- Property tax refund documents
- Certificate of Rent paid from your landlord (CRP)
- Property tax statement
To schedule an appointment call 952-697-1414.
For a list of additional free tax preparation sites throughout Minnesota, visit the MN Dept. of Revenue Free Tax Site Finder
Interested in becoming a tax assistance volunteer?
Whether you have tax preparation experience or not, low-income families and individuals need your help!
Community Action Partnership of Suburban Hennepin (CAPSH) is a nonprofit organization that strives to improve the quality of life of low-income people in Hennepin County. As part of our services, CAPSH offers a free tax program to low-to-moderate income individuals and families to help them prepare, file taxes, and make sure they have a better understanding of available tax credits and deductions. We have 3 different positions at the tax clinics:
- Tax Site Assistant: Help manage the flow of activities at scheduled tax sites in Hennepin County. Greet and register clients and screen for eligibility.
- Tax Preparer: Assist low income families and individuals with filing federal and state returns using tax software. Volunteers will receive in-depth tax preparation training.
- Tax Reviewer- Review the preparer's work, make sure all income has been accounted for and correct credits/deductions were claimed, print out return and review it with clients.
Time and Commitment: Training is in January, with options of either classroom or on-line training. Training materials are available in December. Volunteering takes place from the first week of February, 2016 through April 16, 2016. Volunteers can work one to two 4 hour shifts per week depending on availability. Evening and Saturday volunteer shifts are available.
Locations: CAPSH currently operates 7 tax clinics/sites across Hennepin County. With locations in St. Louis Park, Brooklyn Center, Edina, Minnetonka, Plymouth, and Eden Prairie, volunteers select the dates and tax sites that are most convenient to them.
This program increases our community member’s financial resources giving them a chance to save and improve their lives.
Volunteers are the cornerstone of this program and we cannot provide it without you!